Board of Directors Newsletter – December 2017
5th edition | 2017-18
Board of Directors Updates
- The Board of Directors updated the current status of its Standing Committees during the last Board meeting on December 1st and 2nd. Standing Committees ensure progress in specific areas of the organization and help the Board in making sure CDSA operates in the right direction. Following the hiring of a Communications Specialist, the Board believes it is not pertinent to keep the Standing Committee – Communications. We warmly thank the committees’ members for their involvement, including Doug Momotiuk, Rita Bomak and Carolynn Osborn, who are all from Manitoba. See the updated list of members of the three Standing Committees.
- The next CDSA Annual General Meeting will be held on June 15th and 16th in Alberta. The City will be announced soon with the Alberta Deaf Sports Association (ADSA).
- The President of the CDSA Board of Directors, Mark Kusiak was nominated as a Director on the Pan American Games for the Deaf Board of Directors.
- CDSA submitted John Gesner’s name to the International Committee of Sports for the Deaf (ICSD) for its 2017 Sportsman Award. Gesner is a member of the Canadian Deaf Curling Team, and recently won a Gold medal at the 3rd World Deaf Curling Championship in Sochi, Russia. With no loss and 11 victories at this event, the Men’s Curling Team confirmed its supremacy in the international Deaf Curling world. Gesner showcased a positive and remarkable leadership as well as influence within his team. Gesner won several medals since 2009.
2018 and 2020 Canada Deaf Games
- More than 175 people will attend the 2018 Canada Deaf Games (CDG), including athletes and mission team from participating provinces! Three exhibitions will be presented during the week: Peuple de l’Oeil, CDSA 50th Anniversary and an information kiosk from Video Relay Service (VRS) Canada. CDSA is also hosting a Coach Summit on February 23rd and 24th.
- Two Provincial Deaf Sports Associations (PDSAs) applied to organize the next CDG in 2020. The host city will be announced during the closing ceremony at the 2018 CDG on February 24th.
Upcoming International Events
8oth Anniversary of Montpellier Deaf Sport Club (France)
The National Deaf Women’s Volleyball will participate in a sport event in May 2018 in Montpellier, France. Eight players have been selected for this tournament. The event is organized by the Montpellier Deaf Sport Club to celebrate its 80th anniversary. Several Deaf sport clubs from across Europe will participate at the event.
U21 World Deaf Basketball Championship
CDSA will send a National Team of players aged under 21 at the U21 World Deaf Basketball Championship at Gallaudet University in July 2018. Fifteen of these young players will participate at the 2018 CDG.
12th World Deaf Golf Championship
The World Deaf Golf Championship will be held from July 21st to 28th in Ireland. The Canadian Golf Team is getting ready for the event.
2019 Winter Deaflympics
We are still waiting to find out what country and city will host the 2019 Winter Deaflympics. The ICSD will make an announcement this winter. This doesn’t stop CDSA in setting up a Mission Team.
The Chef de Mission for the 2019 Winter Deaflympics is currently completing the hiring process of three Team Managers for Ice Hockey, Curling and Sliding Sports (Snowboarding, Alpine Skiing and Cross Country Skiing). An announcement will be made by Christmas.Back to News